Thursday, May 24, 2012

Time

We spent time here tonight.  

Glory's headstone was finally set in the ground this afternoon.  It has been a long and very emotional road to this completion.  I think it may be because the words "Glory Girl" will never look right on a gravestone to me.  They shouldn't be there.  They should be embroidered on a hot pink shirt that she should be wearing while running around on the back deck with Eliana…

When I found out that the stone was ready, it was already set in the ground.  I was somewhat curious about how I would react when I drove up and saw it.  

And, you know what?  It looks perfect…amazing…cute, even…with pink flowers all around.  It did literally take my breath away at first, but, as I began to walk around and let my thoughts wander, I noticed something unexpected.  

I didn't feel worse…I felt at ease…I was very aware of the fact that the permanent monument standing before me stood to serve as a reminder for generations to come of a very special little girl that would have called me "mommy" if she could have used her mouth for talking and not just sticking her tongue out.  

I have struggled through the last couple of months.  My overwhelming need to hold and touch her rages on.  It doesn't feel like my faith is enough.  But, unexpectedly, as I stared at the dates on her gravestone, I knew that there had to be more.  

She is not here with us…she is not in the ground.  Even though I can not hear Him speak right now…I know He must be there.  I can not deny that there is a Creator…so much good could never in a million years "just happen".  There must be someone that created us and loves us so much.  And now He has His Glory.

No, the dates on Glory's gravestone don't span 80 or even 8 years.  But what most people refer to as the "ending" date on her gravestone of December 11, 2011, is really only the "beginning" date for Glory.  Her stone is a tribute to the time she spent here with her mommy, daddy, sissy, and the countless others who cared for her.  It in no way points to an end...     

7 comments:

  1. Kerry,

    Tears stream down my face as I read your blog. You are such an amazing strong woman of God! You truly are an example of Christ. Glory was so lucky that God chose you to be her mother. The amount of strength you have while going through a difficult time truly is amazing! Thank you for being such a positive, strong, example of Christ to others while having to go through such a hard time in your life.

    Laura Winn

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It in no way points to an end". I love that line in your blog! As I was reading this i had a thought pop in my head, Now I do not know if it was from the Holy Spirit or not but It's something i felt. The feeling or "thought" was that Glory has a special and specific assignment from the Lord. I don't know what it is but I believe some of it is taking place Right now in heaven with the Lord and the rest of the assignment will take place when the Lord returns. I don't even know what you "believe" in regards to the "End of the age" and "The Lords Return" but I felt that very strongly as I was just reading what you wrote. It gave me almost a fear of thinking about "my assignment"! Am I doing what God has called me to? 2011 and so far 2012 has been the most difficult years of my entire life! The enemy has used every trick and tactic to get me to quit God's assignment. I have even tried to quit! And somehow I don't.....

    Or I will quit and then I sign back up again...Because His Faith is always enough and my faith never is. I Love you!

    Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
    will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.[a]
    2 I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
    my God, in whom I trust.” Psalm 91:1,2

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful beautiful reflections. Thanks for sharing, Kerry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful words that I am sure don't do justice to the hurt AND joy you feel for Glory. What a blessing she was and still is to so many. I wear my pink shirt each month on the 22nd- no matter what is going on that day- as a reminder to myself that there is still so much work to do for His Glory. Thank you for sharing her with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully written......Thank you for sharing this with us, Kerry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tears streaming down my face for so many different reasons....what an inspiration Glory Girl is to me, her smile(with or without tongue)is so radiant, as if i could see a tiny glimpse of God shining right through that precious little face. Perseverence, she fought hard because she had a reason...Her name tells her purpose, FOR HIS GLORY. Strength and encouragement i personally drew from you and Dr. Morton, ALWAYS turning to GOD for EVERY little detail. You are such very strong warriors for Christ. Thank you!!Strength and encouragemnt i drew from Eliana. This is differnt than what i learned from you and Dr. Morton. She is soooo Brave and Strong, a very special little girl. I could go on for quite a while, i will only say one last thing. Once again tears fill my eyes. I am Sooooo very thankful God made a place for me in Morton Family Dentistry. I am blessed beyond measure to be a part of this team and i thank you and Dr. Morton for that opportunity. Sheila

    ReplyDelete